Choosing the right Orlando personal injury law firm is one of the most important decisions you will make. When you have been involved in an accident involving a commercial truck, call the Orlando trucking accident attorney at Badgley Law Group.
Orlando attorney Jeffrey Badgley is board certified as a civil trial lawyer, the highest recognition by the Florida bar as a specialist in the area of trial law.
Badgley Law Group’s team of Orlando truck accident lawyers have the experience and knowledge representing victims of accidents involving commercial trucks. Depending on the nature and severity of the accident, you can sue both the driver of the truck and their employer, and you may seek compensation under Florida law.
When you are in an accident, the first step is to ensure everyone is safe. In an accident that involves a commercial truck, the injuries and the long-term damage can be catastrophic. If you or a loved one have been injured by a commercial truck, there will be details that you need to know about the law that regulates trucks and trucks accidents. If your accident was related to a semi-truck, big rig, or other commercial driver that had been operating out of regulations applying to their work, the driver and the truck company may be responsible for your injuries.
Some tasks to execute at the scene of the accident:
- Report the accident immediately
- Give any details of the accident to law enforcement on scene
- Do not admit fault
- Do not apologize to the driver that negligently injured you.
- Seek medical care right away
- File the police report and receive a copy
- File your insurance claim
- Do not give any recorded or written statements until you talk with an attorney
Common truck crash injuries
The size of the truck, the speed at which the truck was traveling at the time of the collision, and the location of the impact are determinants for the types and severity of injuries a person can suffer from when involved in a trucking accident.
Trucking accidents can be catastrophic, often crippling, maiming or even killing the victim. The pain and suffering for the victim and their families is often severe.
Below are some serious injuries that may occur in an accident involving a truck:
- Broken bones. Truck accidents are powerful, the injuries from broken bones are very prevalent and life threatening.
- Back and neck injuries. The injuries surrounding neck and back can be critical, often these types of injuries result in death or paralysis and can cause life altering circumstances.
- Head injuries. Head trauma in an accident can result in brain injury, that is life threatening. Brain injuries can happen in the absence of a direct impact to the head due to whiplash or rapid acceleration and deceleration. These forms of injury may not occur immediately, but symptoms will develop later causing confusion, nausea, disorientation and other cognitive difficulties, at which point the injury can be life threatening and even result in death if not given immediate medical care.
- Internal injuries. Blunt trauma from crashes can result in internal bleeding from vital organs such as the liver, lung, kidneys, heart, intestines, spleen and pancreas. The injuries should be treated immediately.
- Rib and torso. Truck crash injuries to ribs and torso may be very severe.
- Seat belt injuries.
- Spinal cord injuries. The injuries to the spinal cord can lead up to paralysis and death.
- Wrongful death. Tractor trailer accidents are more likely to cause death than accidents with other cars.